Monday, March 17, 2008

Final Important Quotes

SO these are my final important quotes for this book. I already have seven on the blog and I only need eight, but I'm sure I can find a few more than one. Maybe extra credit is in my future...

Anyways after this I guess I'll just blog about All the Pretty Horses and school and stuff...I guess. It probably won't be as interesting as the novels I've been writing though, since those are so intense.

Enough chit chat.

"'I can see we have our work cut out with you,' Raul said in a tight voice. 'I can see we have a nasty little aristocrat who needs to be educated about the will of the people!" Matt was amazed at the man's reaction." I believe this quote to be significant because now that Matt is in a new world, he has a new reason to be mistreated. Since the Keepers have no knowledge of him being a clone, they label him as an aristocrat - someone who thinks he is better than everyone else. In their world, which is very communistic, each person is equal, and those who have earned it [themselves] are allowed luxuries. I inferred, however, that being an aristocrat is nowhere near as vile as being a clone.

"The other boys were shouting and cheering. They surged forward, forming a ring around the Keeper and his two attackers. " (319) This quote is when the Lost Boys in the plankton factory revolt against the Keepers. The resurgence is led by Matt, and his true leadership qualities are shown in this part of the book. After this occurrence, Matt is deemed a hero by the other boys, and is seen as a threat by the Keepers.

"They were interrupted by a shriek. A girl in a white party dress streaked through the door and threw herself into Matt's arms. 'Oh, Mother! Oh, Mother! It's Matt! He's alive! He's here!'" (362)
I believe this quote is important because it shows the true feelings that Maria holds for Matt. Earlier in the novel she had said that she loved him and that she would 'probably go to hell for it'. Both the excitement in seeing him again, and saying that she would rather go to hell - a big undertaking for her religious family - that not love him shows her true feelings. One can only hope that she will begin to see Matt as a human being instead of a pet clone.

...well, that is a total of 10 quotes, so if one of them is unsatisfactory, I'll still have nine :] And this concludes the outside reading portion of blogs. Congratulations, David.

No comments: