Tuesday, March 18, 2008

GREECE and Others...

I cannot believe that in almost 10 DAYS I'm going to be in Greece!! (see right) Along with not believing, I cannot wait. I need a break from school and all of the stresses that come along with it. Plus it is going to be so much fun.

Even though I'm going with the orchestra on a school field trip - with the orchestra, and it isn't as long as I'd like it to be, I'm not complaining because it is such an amazing opportunity. I'll be going with friends, and it'll be my first overseas trip.

Anyways, enough ranting about my SUPER EXCITING life [not really]. Its time to talk about All the Pretty Horses!

Overall, I am/have been enjoying this novel. I think that the story is interesting and compelling, and it was a pleasant surprise. I probably wouldn't have picked up this book at the library or at the book store, and after hearing that it was about cowboys/the wild west I wasn't all that optimistic about it.

It is very interesting to go over the character and setting development and changes throughout the novel. I liked coming up with the idea about the setting becoming familiar and safe, then to unfamiliar but still exciting, and at the end - so far - the setting became a little more familiar but dark and foreboding eg. being in the jail, losing Alejandra, etc. However, I don't enjoy the style and content in some parts. For example, while Alfonsa was talking for like ten pages I started to drift away from the story, and realize that I had just read an entire page but had no idea what was said. I don't think that its that big of a deal, because I understood the gist of the passage, but when reading a book you should read and comprehend it [for the most part]. Thats just my opinion and I'm kind of a hypocrite seeing as I don't do that half the time.

Thats all for now. Only 3 posts left!!

No comments: